Gazette readers are more likely to support a ban on the selective breeding of dogs…
LOS ANGELES, March 11, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — The International Labradoodle Association, Inc. (ILA), dba Australian Labradoodle Association of America (ALAA), has announced its objection to the California bill AB702, which aims to limit the possibility for breeders California to do business. The bill will harm responsible, law-abiding breeders and pets, and will not stop puppy mills. The legislation, if passed, also prohibits the use of boarding houses, which place breeding dogs with families. Additionally, the bill prohibits dogs and cats from breeding more than once a year, which interferes with their natural reproductive cycle.
Negative effects the passage of California Bill AB702:
- Targets and forces qualified, law-abiding breeders to shut down or move their operations out of California.
- Increases demand for puppies produced by illegally run kennels and backyard breeders.
- Promotes the sending of puppies from locations outside of California with little or no regulation.
- Forces unhealthy and harmful breeding practices.
- Invades the privacy of dog and cat owners.
- Promotes similar legislation in other states.
Benefits of California breeding regulations in force:
- Legitimate breeders from ALAA and other organizations must qualify under strict responsible breeding criteria, including high quality physical and mental treatment of breeders’ dogs and puppies.
- Restricting breeding to once a year or limiting the age of breeding dogs hampers the ability of breeding veterinarians to guide breeders on the best breeding medical choice for their dogs.
- Advantages of the guardian house: The guardian houses allow the dog to live in a normal and loving family environment and to have only one house for his life. The Home Sitting System helps breeders manage the number of dogs in their care.
ALAA donates to the National Animal Interest Alliance Trust (NAIA) as well as the Calvary Group; both organizations are actively fighting against this bill. The ALAA encourages all members and alliances to take immediate action to write to their California representatives. Find local officials here: https://www.naiatrust.org/find-your-elected-officials/. Also, please sign the ALAA petition at http://chng.it/Tp8MJKJJ.
About the ILA/ALAA:
The International Labradoodle Association, Inc., dba Australian Labradoodle Association of America, consists of approximately 300 breeders and nearly 5,000 pet members while maintaining a database of nearly 100,000 dog records and of verified pedigrees dating back to its founding in 2004. The organization requires strict guidelines for becoming a breeder member, including health testing requirements, registration of all dogs and puppies, pedigree verification, and submission of the DNA profile. One of ALAA’s most important goals is to promote the responsible breeding of healthy companion animals. For more information, visit alaa-labradoodles.com.
Alex McEwingPresident ALAA
Australian Labradoodle Association of America ALAA
Petition: Say NO to CA Legislation Bill AB702
SOURCE Australian Labradoodle Association of America (ALAA)